I DMed this mod and combined it with the 2nd of the serie to make a 4 hours session. It worked very well. I loved to prepare it, giving choice of many encounters, making the mod replayable again and again. I made my local store Initiative roll! record by calling it like 30sec of the beggining! really funny to run and play.
I DMed this module right after the SALT-01-01 and combining them into a 4 hours session. It works real fine and is more logical (story wise) that way. Letting PCs run something else between the 1st and 2nd mod of the serie break the tempo a little. Really enjoyed the mod!
Great mod, with great rules for levle zero characters. I have players wanting to continue to play as the characts they played in this mod loving the back stories that were provided with the characters. My only complaint is that there are only 6 pregens instead of 7.
Rob's stuff make online DMing insanely easier and faster. Having everything pre-coded works wonders and cuts down the clutter of the table. During a game you dont panic and feel lost in a complicated system. Things just work and it helps the DM to get back to actual DMing instead of being bogged down by logkeeping.
Excellent module!! An excellent example of creativity and humor, with absolutely comic elements and surreal scenes (my players in certain scenes could not stop laughing), but also combined with dramatic moments! A really well done mix of roleplay and a very hard final boss fight.. It is also one of the few modules that relates to a historical event in the AL community, the Red War, and plunges into a subplot during the Red War Epic, giving players the chance to learn more about this important event. I can't wait to see more adventures from this author!!...
I haven't had a chance to run this adventure for a group yet, but I look forward to it.
- Tightly designed adventure. Compact setting, straightforward premis, good setup.
- Appropriate to many different campaign settings: as long as there is room for a sleepy hamlet with dark secrets, Breaker of Chains could fit in with minimal reskinning. Even a setting like Dark Sun could host this adventure with only a little work, and that work doesn't have to touch the dungeon itself.
- Excellent use of an underused monster. Very glad to see what the centerpiece showdown involved was. No spoilers here, but it made me grin.
- Provided pre-gen characters were thematic and balanced, characterful without being restrictive. I would hand these characters to any group to play with, and could see them continuing on beyond the dungeon.
- One particular trap in area 5 is one that filled me with glee, but I imagine will be a bit difficult to properly describe without particular micromana...
Love this class! As a gm, it was excrusiating to find a good gunsinlger that fit into my low magic campaign. Not just party members, but enemies having guns now adds a whole level of depth my players have to worry about!
This is a great module. MT Black seems to capture just enough story that is not too long and drawn out. It is not short, it just seems just right for a 3-4 hr adventure. This is the 3rd module I have done a playthrough. I plan on buying at least one of every level that he has. I think that MT Black adventures is the best for us. I simply do not enjoy long thought out stories that can go on forever. He really puts enough in the story that you do not have to add much at all because its all there. This one in particular is great for a 1-2 level characters. I was really impressed with this one. If you want a good pre-packaged adventure like the old days then get this one!...
While I have not personally used this, I bought it for a player at my table to use in our Dragon Heist game. He has been very invested in the both the gathering and crafting aspects of it. Even in an urban setting like Waterdeep, there are still a lot of chances to gather these essences, and can even become something of a puzzle. The side-effects keep them from becoming abusable but still useful. However, my favorite part has to be the description of the crafting process as it has led to a lot of great role-play moments in just a few sessions. Having a Drow try to explain to their colleague why they need a person's eyes without making it seem like they're a crazy murderer from the Underdark has been a highlight.
I haven't had the chance to use this as a player, but as DM I have enjoyed having it at my table and highly recommend it. My player using it does as well. In the future I hope to use it for myself so I can offer more opinions on it from that PoV.
If I were to offer some c...
I have tried to give these new rules a chance, but there is no avoiding it. These rules are ruining AL play.
Our game store used to have 50 players, two nights per week. The last three weeks we have been lucky to hit 18.
The main problems with the rules are:
* The GP rewards are far too low; they are only received on levelling up; they are inadequate for spellcasting characters that need to buy components. Receiving the equivalent of coupons at the end of an adventure is nowhere near as rewarding as writing some actual gold or items on the character sheet.
* The GP rewards for Tier 1 and Tier 2 are equivalent. You get 75gp for levelling up in Tier 1. You get 150gp for levelling up in Tier 2. However, Tier 1 only requires 4 checkpoints to level up and Tier 2 requires 8. So basically you are stuck at the same gp reward level per hour of adventuring from level 1 until you get to level 10 inclusively.
* The magic item unlocks will receive mixed reviews. Some people will lov...
I ran this yesterday for a party of 3. It was my first time GM'ing, and two of the players had never roleplayed before but it went great and everyone loved the story and the characters. Found this very easy to run and looking forward to using some of your other modules as the party continues their adventure.
The sheets then selves are very clean and exceedingly well layed out. I honestly have only one problem with them. But it is a sizable problem.
The issue is in transferring class feature information. While it reansfer easily from pdf or word doc....the font size is damn near unreadable. And that is a shame because that takes away from its utility. If there is a fix for this I will change my review. But if your eyes are better than mine it is well worth the money.
Like it says, for experienced DM and Players. This isn't a railroadey quest or ready-made adventure like some modules, this is more of a loose framework with some lorebuilding that party and DM interact with. It leaves a lot up to players and DM and will mold easily to whatever style you have.
This is a neat idea. The layout is simplistic and detalied. Not sure if we will keep track of weight because we ussaly dont, but this allows for an easy way to do so. I like the idea of being able to track renown easier. It also opens up some ideas for me to add in stuff for our game.