I had the opportunity to play this module at FarWest in April 2017 with the module writer as the DM. If run as expected, this module provided a challenging set of combats. I played a bladesinger, but me and the other casters eventually expended all our spell slots to keep fights manageable. We felt pressed without it feeling like we were getting slaughtered. It managed to callback to the elemental evil cults activity that Season 2 was all about, but I won't say more to avoid spoilers.
Finally, this module is based out of Mulmaster so if you're looking for another opportunity to earn levels with the Cloaks, you can gain it here.
As someone who DMs a lot, this module's organization makes far more sense. Each chapter is a self-contained unit of: story pages, DM notes, combat summary, combat map, combatant stats. Everything you need to run that chapter is there - no more flipping to the back to find a map, then flipping 8 more pages to find the monster stats. When you are done running the chapter, you can set aside all those pages and move on to the next set of pages.
This organization takes into account the way modules are actually run and I would encourage both AL admins (who probably aren't reading this), and all other CCC module writers to reconsider how they organize their chapters.
By far, this purchase provides excellent value for the price you pay. Here's a catalogue:
- You start with 8 hours of content (with the option to run it in 4), which is double or quadruple the content many other CCC mods offer.
- There is a full set of maps (.jpg format) separate from the module PDF for individual printing or use on Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, or other online gameplay
- Speaking of Fantasy Grounds, this purchase includes a .mod file for that
- Story Award sheet with 3 per sheet for quick printing to hand out to players
- DM Cribsheet to easily digest and/or checklist the milestones as you read and run through the model
To summarize, as a purchaser, this offers fantastic value and supporting assets to run IRL and online. As a DM, this is organized sensibly for running the module with helpful pages to cue your running of the module. As a player, the content is challenging and beefy (4-8 hours).
Buy this mod!